Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Tasteless Bull Crap Featuring "Black John McCain"

If you ever wondered whether television makes you dumber, this clip from CNN should answer that question unequivocally.

So here is the premise, the African American man who was the drummer in The Toasters is named John McCain. "Who cares?" you may be saying to yourself, but here is the kicker -- he is voting for Barack Obama!

The drama and newsworthiness is almost overwhelming. It was so relevant and insightful that CNN.com even linked it above the metaphorical fold on their front page.

I think the worst part about this piece is that it actually glosses over a real story about a news anchor in Maine who is being harassed by viewers because she looks too much like Sarah Palin. Though this is only slightly worse than when the reporter tries to get "Black John McCain" to put on a mask of White John McCain. He refuses, obviously, so she puts it on herself and gawks at the camera like a big-headed wrinkly ghost made of latex condoms. Note: this isn't a comment about how John McCain looks; it is a comment on how his hollow rubber effigy looks on a newswoman.

I'm not sure yet whether this is most offensive to me as a journalist, an American or a human being, maybe I'll update this post when I do decide. On the other hand, I can actually feel myself getting dumber with every second that I waste thinking about it -- so maybe I'll just let it die.

No comments: